Saturday, January 7, 2012

Only One Person Can Make You Happy

There were seven of us cooped up in a van on our way to Lugano when my brother in-law said something that I will always remember. Granted, I got a good laugh out of the conversation so it’ll help keep the memory etched in my mind. He was trying to talk to my 3.5 year old nephew about behaving in the van and enjoying the scenery after we all piled back in after stopping at rest stop. We were driving through the Swiss Alps so enjoying the scenery wasn’t hard, at least for the adults in the vehicile. The view out the window was priceless. Snow covered mountains and 800 year old villages in the valleys below passed by quickly, but were replaced by new ones just as fast. Anyway, Dan told Danny there was only one person who could make him happy. I knew what he meant, but Danny quipped back—“yeah, Mom!”


The idea that the only person who can make you happy is yourself isn’t new to me, and it I am guessing it isn’t new to you either. Deep down we all know that our mindset makes our experiences good or bad.  If you go into a new situation, focus on the positive aspect of the experience, chances are you will have a good time even if it things don’t turn out perfectly. Much like a 3.5 hour car ride through the Alps in a small van with five adults, a toddler, a preschooler and two dogs. It is cramped, loud, and rather nerve wracking but the view made it all worth it. That, and my nephew’s way of thinking about things.

Living with GP, CIP, or other gastrointestinal dysmotility disorders sucks. But, that doesn’t mean your outlook has too. Prior to leaving for Switzerland I ordered a new bumper sticker for my car, one that matched my scientific mind and my personality. It is a play off of the old saying “When life hands you lemons, make lemonade.”  Sometimes you need a little reminder, and in 2012 that sticker is going to be mine.

“When life hands you mold, make penicillin”

No comments:

Post a Comment